reviews

Silver in the Wood // Book Review

 Book: Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh
Release Date: June 18th 2019
Tags: Fantasy / Adult / Novella / Folklore / Historical / England / LGBTQ+ / Gay  / m/m Relationship

Green-FullGreen-FullGreen-FullGreen-FullNo-Star

 

goodreads-badge-add-plus_zpsc94610e9

Reading Challenge(10)

There is a Wild Man who lives in the deep quiet of Greenhollow, and he listens to the wood. Tobias, tethered to the forest, does not dwell on his past life, but he lives a perfectly unremarkable existence with his cottage, his cat, and his dryads.
.
When Greenhollow Hall acquires a handsome, intensely curious new owner in Henry Silver, everything changes. Old secrets better left buried are dug up, and Tobias is forced to reckon with his troubled past—both the green magic of the woods, and the dark things that rest in its heart.

Reading Challenge(11)

Silver in the Wood is one of those novella’s  I have slowly been seeing around the blogosphere but didn’t hear many opinions on. So when it turned up during the german amazon sale I grabbed it. And I am very glad I did.

This story banks so much on the atmosphere. It is set in a historical England and has a very dark fairytale type feel to it. We follow the wild man of the woods, an urban legend for those living around the forest.  The wild man of the woods is in fact not as wild as they make him out to be. He is just living his immortal life out in the forest and protects others from the darker creatures that come out at night.  And then Henry comes.

I found it interesting and great to see how our wild man seemed to want to open up to this curious researcher who seems to be very upfront about who he is. I felt his trepidation. His realization. His feelings. Without even so many words. But in his actions and his kind of thoughts. Adding on to that the dark vibe and you have a great story to set your teeth in.

However I did feel like the last 25% felt a little out of tune with the rest of the story, vibe wise. I understand why it went there but it didn’t seem to be able to hold on to the same vibe and atmosphere the other 75% of the story had.

The author has said that there will be more with these characters and I am a 100% there for it.

10 thoughts on “Silver in the Wood // Book Review

  1. Even though I also thought the last bit was a little off from the rest of the book, I loved this one. I had an eARC and enjoyed it so much I preordered a physical copy, and I think it’s in my top 5 favorite books of the year. I really hope there are future books with these characters ❤

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I remember seeing this book around in spring, but for some reason didn’t get it, even though it totally sounds like it’s my jam. (Maybe I read a negative review and then forgot about it or something) But now I want to try!! Great review 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

I welcome your thoughts and opinions!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.