It is December 30th and we are hitting the final days of 2017 really hard. So what better way to set into the last weekend of the year then by doing the End of the Year Survey as created by Jamie from The Perputual Page-Turner?
She created this survey way back in 2010 and it is still going. I much prefer to fill in this kind of survey instead of making endless posts with the best books of this and that. Though I do enjoy to see them from others, I just don’t enjoy creating them.
2017 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 141
Number of Re-Reads: 7
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy (surprising right?)
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho. I am hoping so hard that the sequel will come out next year. You can find my other top books of 2017 here and my favorite 2017 releases here.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Emerald Blade. I enjoyed the first book but wasn’t in love. But this book turned it around completely.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I’m not sure if people actually picked them up but books have been mentioning a lot would be The Epic Crush of Genie Lo and Sorcerer to the Crown.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Difficult. But I have taken quite the liking to MacKenzie Lee. I’m very interested in what she will do next.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue is a historical fiction and normally not something I would easily pick up. But the author has such a lovely social media presence and the title alone made me want to read it. I really loved it.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Emerald Blade.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Sorcerer to the Crown if the sequel does come out next year.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
So many pretty ones like Sorcerer to the Crown, Where the Stars Rise, Language of Thorns, Sleeping Giants, The Last Namsara.
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Zacharias from Sorcerer to the Crown. He is such a gentleman.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Tess of the Road.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Farseers trilogy, Copper Cat trilogy, Soul Music.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
Uh I’m not really a quote person so I’ll leave this open, haha.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest: Terra Nova by Ursula Visser
Longest: Locke & Key Slipcase set (I ended up counting these as one)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I’m not sure if a book really shocked me. I am not that easily shocked haha.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Meg and Simon from Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop of course! But I also really loved Percy and Monty from The Gentleman’s Guide, and Magnus and Alex from The Ship of the Dead.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Kell and Rhy from A Conjuring of Light.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Etched in Bone. I was so pleased with the ending to these characters, and I can’t wait for Lake Silence to be here to start us with new characters
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Farseers Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Zacharias from Sorcerer to the Crown.
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Where the Stars Rise and The Emerald Blade.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo. It made me laugh so much. I love Genie’s voice.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
This year? I’m not sure. I don’t think there was any.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Sorcerer to the Crown.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Recently The Midnight Dunes. See below, haha.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
Where the Stars Rise, I Robot, The Epic Crush of Genie Lo, Tess of the Road.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Midnight Dunes. Because why do this to my favorite character of the book? ._. I will have you know I asked the author this too. So upset I was, haha.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
I’m not sure if this really counts but I did find some new favorite people, haha or people I already knew but didn’t have really contact with before. I knew Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner already from The Broke and the Bookish but it wasn’t until this year, and mostly the second half of the year that we got to talking a bit.
But there is also Inge from Of Wonderland and Maraia from Bucher Monster. And all the other people. (But honestly I tend to forget when I started talking to people and sometimes when I really like someone my mind plays tricks on me and pretends I’ve known them for years.)
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Poeh I’m not sure if I can be the judge of that. I didn’t have as many discusssion type of posts this year. But I gathered a lot of people liked my letter to authors who request reviews themselves.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I enjoyed going to the Deventer Book Market again this year. And I liked that we had a Bookstore Day here in the Netherlands. And it was great to go to the book presentation of Vanessa Gerrits. But most of all I enjoyed meeting Zwartraafje at her bloggers high tea! ❤
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Hitting 500 followers. Getting approved for Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman on Netgalley.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Combining it with Merijn and his naps. I think I worked that out quite well and my working ahead organization helps with that so much. But we’ll see what happens when he starts sleeping less.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I’m not sure. Maybe Reading With Merijn – The First Year
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I discovered the library again for Merijn and myself. We also got a bookish subscription for Merijn every 4 months or so.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes I did but you will read about those in Monday’s end of the year post.
The Empty Grave by Jonathan Stroud. I know!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Pitch Dark, Tess of the Road, Reign of the Fallen, Chainbreaker, Lake Silence.
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Children of Blood and Bone I think. But I always find debuts so hard.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Maybe I do have the secret wish of hitting a 1000 followers on the blog. I have over 600 at the moment. It might be possible!
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Tess of the Road!
Was there a book you picked up this year because of me?
If you have done the tag or are going to, please link me yours down below so I can take a look!