After doing the Mid-Year freak out tag, and realizing that we are already at the middle of the year, I have been thinking about my reading goals. Some, like my goodreads and tbr challenge I am on top of. I look at those every month during my wrap up as well. But I did do a few others that I was struggling to even remember. So I thought it would be good to do a bit of a better look at where I am now with my 2017 reading goals.
The Reading Challenge
Read 60 books – Completed
If you read my monthly wrap up posts you will know that I have already completed this goal. The moment of writing this I have read 66 books. I think I have hit this number because I am not as strict with what I would I count towards the goal. And rereads count this year too and that helps. But also I have been on a reading high these last two months where, by my standards, I have been inhaling books. Some big ones too. It is quite satisfying. I think this also shows I have been doing better depression wise.
I will not change this goal now. I just want to see where I can end up at by the end of the year as Merijn growns older. That will be a good indication for next year I think.
Beat the Backlist
Read 50 Backlist books
I am quite enjoying participating in this yearly challenge. I enjoy the hogwarts house aspect of it and having a chat every month with others who are participating. It is good to try and focus on some backlist books, yet I have seen that I don’t nessecarily need to as I read a bunch of backlist books without making myself. So far I’ve read 38 backlist books. So I’m doing well on this goal. Considering though that I have already read 66 I could be doing better I suppose.
The TBR Challenge
Total unread books on shelf January 1st 2017 – 145
Goal – Under a 100
151. I shall go hide under a rock then. I was doing okay at the start of the year but as I have been reading more books, I have also been buying more books. Weird how that works. I think I need to make this goal more realistic because I think we all know I won’t be able to get it under a 100. So I am changing this now to 130. I should be able to manage that, right? Right?
Read Books by Dutch Authors on My Shelf
Owned books by Dutch authors at start of 2017 – 8
Goal – Read them all
- De Stem van de Zee by Mara Li
- This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
- Onder Mijn Huid by Marlies Slegers
- Profeet van de Duivel by Adrian Stone
- In Transit by Margaretha van Andel
De Klauw by Adrian Stone Invocatie by Jurgen Snoeren
- De Drakenkoningin by An Janssens
- Up van Myrthe van der Meer
- De Nachtuilen van Jeroen van Unen
- Het Laatste Licht van Jen Minkman
As you can see I have not been doing super great with this goal. Two so far. I have been letting international books push these to the back. Those books have been exciting me. These somewhat less. I have also gotten a few more books by Dutch authors than the original 8 at the start of the year that I have added onto the list. The old list is in italics. The new ones are not.
Read 5 Classics
A big zero. I haven’t been feeling like picking up a classic. With those I have to be in a certain mood I suppose. So who knows. I might pick up 5 in the next 6 months. I might pick up none. This is not a goal I have to complete. More it is here to remind myself that I have a bunch of classics still to read.