August 30th, the last few days of Summer comes to an end. Many at this point have to start back to school soon or already have.I know some high schools in the middle of the Netherlands already started back last week and that most other schools start either this week or next week.
So of course The Broke and the Bookish give us a back to school freebie for today. I haven’t gone back to school since I graduated college in 2011 so I always feel a bit out of the loop with these kind of prompts. But I decided to go with books that give me a schoolish feeling either because they are set at school, training or the characters just remind me of a high school setting.
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Of course this can’t miss from a list like this.
- The Magicians (The Magicians 1) by Lev Grossman
This book has a magic college. The characters do take some getting used to though.
- Untraceable University by Natalie Koch
Another magic college that I really enjoyed reading. Too bad it is only out in Dutch.
- Exiled Queen (Seven Realms 2) by Cinda Williams Chima
This second book in the series they spend at school which was interesting with these characters.
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
This book of course takes place on a boarding school in Paris. Can’t be more schoolish than that, right?
- The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil 1) by Sonami Chainani
I haven’t actually read this one yet, but I don’t think you can go wrong with this book when it comes to schoolish feeling.
- Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Simon gives us the typical high school setting, but also lets you think.
- The Way of Shadows (Night Angel 1) by Brent Weeks
Our main character gets trained as an assassin.
- On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
While this isn’t set anywhere near a high school the characters are the correct age. Regardless I think the questions that are asked here by the main character gets asked by more people.
- It’s a Wonderful Death by Sarah J. Schmitt
This vibrates such a high school setting in the afterlife.