Within the bookish community we love to give out recommendations, and sometimes we actively search out those books that are similar to a favorite book. But are there still books that you come across in the book store that you have never heard of before that you decide to buy and read?
There are so many books that we see and hear about that picking a book up on a whim hardly ever happens for me. I also try to resist that whim when I do see a book like that because I don’t want to buy too many random books. One event that where I do allow myself to buy on a whim is the Boekenfestijn here in the Netherlands because it is cheaper there.
But looking at my shelves I do spot some books.
Books I read on a whim
These books are often those I found in book stores in the past when I didn’t buy as many books, and didn’t hear about as many books.
- Perfume: the Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind
- The Golem’s Eye (Bartimaeus 2) by Jonathan Stroud *
- The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel 1) by Brent Weeks
- Indigo Springs (Astrid Lethewood 1) by A.M. Dellamonica
- The Magicans (The Magicians 1) by Lev Grossman
- The Mysteries by Lisa Tuttle
- The Demon King (Seven Realms 1) by Cinda Williams Chima
* I read the second book before the first, haha
Books I bought on a whim (but have not read yet)
- Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton
- Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings 1) by Jackson Pearce
So what books have you bought and/or read on a whim?
This prompt comes from the weekly meme of Top Ten Tuesday as created by The Broke and the Bookish